The Importance of Creative Friends....

     I've done a fair amount of artisan shows this year with still 4 more to go in the upcoming months! I have to say- they are a lot of work!  I spend time not only creating, but planning, organizing, making signs, changing displays, writing to-do lists, packing, unpacking and checking everything over and over again. And thats the easy part! The hardest is dragging all my creative goods out of the house, into the my SUV, and then into wherever it is I am setting up shop. However, as exhausting as it may be, it is all so worth it. And I am not talking about making a few extra bucks ( that is of course the idea and icing on the cake) BUT- as I have become a bit more of an expert at this, I am also learning to enjoy the process and appreciate the truly amazing and uplifting positives of this experience. And that, my dear blog readers, is  the gift of meeting incredibly creative people- many of whom have become good friends. The scope of their talents amaze me. I am an not only speaking of fellow vendors, I am also including shoppers and browsers. Some folks just come not just to shop, but also to spend time appreciating beautiful artisan work.
       For example, my last show was in Metuchen NJ at the YMCA, which I shared with two great photographer/artist friends- Diane and Susan. (They are also sisters!)  A woman approached me to chat and see my work. We talked, and talked and talked. And bonded.  Yes, a fellow artist -Mickey -and an amazing woman. Her energy was through the roof. We were on the same page and felt like we knew each other for years! She was well traveled, educated and a joy to speak to.  Sharing our love of art, writing, and travel was the highlight of my day. She invited me to come and see her studio and I cannot wait to go visit and see her work. She is also an art teacher and from a family of artists. When you meet someone that you share common interests with, inspirations and ideas flow with ease. It's a gift. A gift that would not have happened had I decided not to lug my creations across town to support my craft.
So, I suppose there are no accidents.  And to be blessed with not only a crazy obsession to create art, but to also find friends who share your vision and your passion is the importance of creative friends.
I am lucky to a a few in my life and hope to continue finding more along the way.

Comments

Popular Posts